Maserati turned to Pietro Frua to design the replacement for the successful 3500 GT and in 1963 the Mistral began to roll off the production line. Whereas it was first of a line of classic Maseratis to be given the name of a wind, it was also the last to be powered by a derivative of the twin spark, straight-six cylinder engine that had powered Juan Manual Fangio in his Tipo 250F to the 1957 Formula 1 World Championship. The engine was offered in three different states of tune from 1963 to 1970 and this particular car is a ‘3700’, equipped with a 3.7-litre straight six.
Delivered new to Italy finished silver, it previously underwent a restoration of the bodywork in the early 1990s. The paintwork still presents well, some badging on the car was rechromed in 2010, the cabin that has been sympathetically rejuvenated, but the car could use some cosmetic work in detail.
Like many other Mistrals, it has been converted to a triple side draft Weber carburetor set up by the consignor ten years ago. However, the original mechanical Lucas indirect fuel injection accompanies the car today. At that time, the engine was fitted with new bearings, the rare ZF five-speed manual transmission was fitted with a new clutch, inspected, and sealed. It is important to note that the car is part of a large collection in Germany and has not been driven in the last eight years, so it would benefit from a service, including correct adjustment of its Weber carburetors, before being driven again. Importantly, it is accompanied by previous German registration papers.
Very few cars offer the pedigree, 1960s style and performance of a Mistral and this car would be a fine European touring companion.