From January 30 to February 2, at the Lingotto Fiere in Turin, the 38th edition of Automotoretrò and the eleventh edition of Automotoracing are staged , which officially open the calendar of events dedicated to fans of vintage motoring. The winning formula of the previous editions has been confirmed : visitors can in fact touch the most beautiful cars of the past, sporting and standard, coming from all over Europe and from different eras. Among more than 1,200 exhibitors, there are also stands dedicated to models, original spare parts, car sales and specialized publishing, as well as a rich program of conferences, book presentations and meetings with famousindustry figures. More information is available on the official website of the show.
An important event, therefore, which sees FCA Heritage, the Group’s department dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the historical heritage of the Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia and Abarth brands, in the front row . FCA Heritage presents itself at the Turin event with new communication materials and with a suggestive and renewed stand in design, which houses some extraordinary specimens, such as the very rareAlfa 24 HP from 1910 and the fascinating Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 SS. These are two masterpieces of the Milanese company founded on June 24, 1910 with the name ALFA (Società Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili) and in particular the 24 HP, together with the 12 HP, is the first model of the brand resulting from the agreement between the knight Ugo Stella and the designer from Piacenza Giuseppe Merosi. Both cars are normally exhibited at the Alfa Romeo Historical Museum in Arese – The time machine .
In 2020 the first 40 years of the Fiat Panda are also celebrated, the timeless Fiat icon that has conquered several generations of motorists thanks to its compact external dimensions, the large internal space that can be configured for every transport need, the wide choice of engines and to the numerous color combinations. On the stand, a Panda 30 (1980) is on display, one of the first examples of the model presented at the 1980 Geneva Motor Show which was an immediate success, especially among the younger ones, due to its innate simplicity and friendliness.
Furthermore, in Automotoretrò you can see the bumpers of the legendary Lancia Delta HF Integrale, the first spare parts of the “Heritage Parts” line dedicated to classic cars and produced by FCA Heritage together with Mopar. In particular, for the occasion, the highly sought-after pieces are visible on an experimental car from the 1990s belonging to the historic FCA Heritage collection and currently under restoration at the Officine Classiche.
Finally, two modern cars complete the Turin exhibition – the sporty Alfa Romeo Giulia MY20 and the exclusive Fiat Panda Trussardi – in the name of that common thread that has linked the cars of the past with the current ones for over a century. This context also includes the suggestive gallery set up at the Mirafiori Motor Village – the famous Turin dealership located in the historic Fiat factory born in 1939 – which tells the world of FCA Heritage and the wide range of activities and services offered by the Department.
ALFA 24 HP (1910)
The ALFA 24 HP specimen exhibited at Automotoretrò 2020 features a torpedo body made by Ercole Castagna, which inaugurates a fruitful and lasting collaboration between his famous atelier and the Casa del Biscione. Alfa Romeo, in 1953, buys the car from its own dealer in Switzerland.
The 24 HP is positioned at a medium-high level in the automotive market of the time, with a traditional approach but not without innovations: the chassis is made of C-shaped sheet metal side members and cross members, the H-shaped front axle and semi-elliptical leaf spring suspensions.
The brakes on the rear wheels are hand-operated and pedal-operated drum. The engine is a four-cylinder in-line engine with cast iron cylinder block and fixed head. The lateral valves are controlled, by means of tappets, by a camshaft placed in the base. The displacement is 4084 cc for a power of 42 HP at 2200 rpm (later increased to 45 HP at 2400 rpm).
The transmission is particularly refined: the four-speed gearbox plus reverse is connected to the wheels by means of a transmission shaft in a single section inserted in a force stem. The wheels are Sankey type spokes. The curb weight of 1000 kg.
The absolutely outstanding performances – with a maximum speed of 100 km / h – and a particular constructive care decree its immediate success: up to 1913 about 200 chassis will be produced, divided into four series. Most of the chassis will be fitted with a torpedo body. Among other things, the “Corsa” version, with open two-seater bodywork and weight reduced to 870 kg, will take part with good results in various competitions, including the brilliant performance of Nino Franchini at the Targa Florio 1911: after having long run the race – characterized by adverse weather conditions – with a margin of more than 6 minutes ahead on the Scat of Ceirano, he will have to withdraw after being blinded by a splash of mud that will make him lose control and damage a wheel. Furthermore, at the outbreak of the First World War, the production of 24 HP chassis for the Italian Army began; subsequently, with Nicola Romeo’s intervention, the production will be suspended and the plants destined for other products. The chassis will be improved and completed after the war, giving rise to the 20-30 ES.
Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 Super Sport (1928)
The Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 Sport was born in 1928 precisely in the name of competitions: the compact six-cylinder in-line of only 1467 cm3, by virtue of the double overhead camshaft, the ratio of increased compression and double body carburetor goes from 44 to 54 horsepower.
Spider versions, mostly bodied in Zagato, Castagna and Touring, capture the interest of gentlemen drivers to be used in racing: light, agile and quick cars with a long hood that hides the mechanical excellence of the multi-faceted mechanical engineering jewel .
To further increase performance, the version with double body carburettor is flanked by one with compressor and single carburettor, called Super Sport: the power rises to 76 horsepower at 4800 rpm and the maximum speed goes from 130 to 140 km / h.
Only 31 specimens of the Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 in the Super Sport and Mille Miglia Speciale versions were produced from 1928 to 1929: six specimens in the “fixed head” version of 84 HP, 10 with compressor and 15 without.
On April 1, 1928 an Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 SS of the official racing team – led by the Campari / Ramponi crew – won the second edition of the Mille Miglia: it is the beginning of the Alfa Romeo legend in the famous race, which will see the Milanese company on the highest step of the Brescia podium 10 more times: a historical record that can never be beaten. In the same years the former Russian Guard officer Boris Ivanowski, who moved to Paris at the end of the great war, distinguished himself for his victories outside Italy: paired with Marinoni he conquered the 24 hours of Spa in 1928, he alone won the Coupe Georges Boillot; while the following year he still won the Irish GP Saorstat Cup in Ireland.
Before becoming one of the greatest sports car manufacturers, a young Enzo Ferrari, aboard an Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 SS, in 1927 he won paired with Giulio Ramponi on the Modena circuit, repeating the victory paired with Eugenio Siena the next year. Also in ’28 he won on the circuit of Alessandria, races that he defines as local, but which will be the foundation of the radiant career linked to Drake racing.
The specimen exhibited at Automotoretrò 2020 comes from the Alfa Romeo Historical Museum in Arese and – prepared by FCA Heritage’s technical experts – triumphed in the 2019 edition of the 1000 Miglia. It was not the first victory in the “classic” of Brescia for this car, which had already climbed the top step of the podium in the editions reminiscent of 2005 and 2007, conquering the Mille Millas Sport in Argentina in 2007 and 2008 even overseas. This sprightly Alfa Romeo has not yet stopped racing and winning on the roads all over the world.
Fiat Panda 30 (1980)
At Automotoretrò the public can admire one of the first examples of red Fiat Panda 30 products. Evolution and synthesis of the glorious Fiat 126 and 127, the Fiat Panda made its debut in 1980 and continues tirelessly to evolve, representing a real benchmark in the category with over 7.5 million specimens produced to date.
Designed by Giorgietto Giugiaro, the Panda is a compact two-volume sedan, two doors and tailgate with engine and front-wheel drive. Simple in the technical scheme, but devoted to functionality and great habitability, making the most of the space: compact outside but large inside.
The Fiat Panda is characterized by the essentiality of the design, with large wraparound bumpers, a high protective side band and a large glass surface. The flat windows – even the windscreen – guarantee great brightness to the interior, essential but extremely functional, built with simple but robust materials, all completely washable. The 652 cm 3 twin cylinderair-cooled, evolution of the historical engine of the 500 of 1957 then used on the 126, develops 30 horses and equips the Panda 30 dedicated to the Italian market. It differs from the Panda 45, which instead mounts the 4-cylinder 903 of the 127, for the different asymmetrical position of the metal grid on the grille: on the 30 the slits are on the right side to supply air to the twin-cylinder fan, while on the 45 slots and radiator of the water are on the left side.
In just 3.38 meters, the Panda offers space for five people and great versatility in the use of internal spaces, such as the rear sofa which with seven different positions can even become a pleasant hammock, a cradle or a spacious bed. Both the two and the four cylinders are coupled to a four-speed manual gearbox, the front suspension is independent, with Mc Pherson scheme and disc brakes. The rear axle has a rigid axle, suspended by double leaf leaf springs with hydraulic shock absorbers and drum brakes. Consumption is particularly interesting: at 90 km / h the Panda 30 travels 19 km with 1 liter and the Panda 45 over 17. The maximum speed is respectively over 115 km / h and about 140 km / h.
Within three years the pandas are enriched in the outfits, with the “Super” version, for the 45 comes the 5th gear, but the further enormous success is due to the advent of the 4×4 version, built in collaboration with the Austrian Steyr-Puch, which transforms the versatile Turin utility vehicle into an unstoppable small and light off-road vehicle, which soon becomes a darling of lovers of outdoor life and sports. An inseparable companion not only for those who live in the mountains. The growing success of the long-running first series lasts over twenty years. In 2003 the second was launched, which will be followed by the current third series that was born in 2012.
This year the Fiat Panda celebrates its 40th anniversary, and FCA Heritage has chosen to start the celebrations for the birthday of one of the longest-lived models in Fiat history in Turin, alongside one of the first models produced with the new and exclusive Panda Trussardi, presented last September.
“Heritage Parts”, the new line of spare parts for classic cars
“Heritage Parts” is the new line of spare parts for classic cars faithfully reproduced, which was born from the collaboration between the FCA Heritage department and the Mopar brand. The project starts with one of the most iconic models in FCA history: the front and rear bumpers of the Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione are available.
The spare parts are produced from the original molds, guarded by FCA Manufacturing and now they return to new life, after the necessary restoration operations, in the FCA factory in Grugliasco. In particular, the bumpers are supplied not primed since the materials do not require the flamming operation. Sandblasting, before painting, is the responsibility of the customer.
Using original molds and materials, therefore, the offer of Mopar and FCA Heritage guarantees the perfect assembly of spare parts and allows the cars to be able to circulate on the road in full compliance with the homologation rules. This is an important novelty for the owners of these Lancia cars, timeless symbols of the most prestigious victories in rally races.
The “Heritage Parts” line therefore combines the invaluable documentary heritage of FCA Heritage and the high quality, safety and reliability of the original spare parts produced by Mopar, the brand dedicated to assistance, spare parts and customer support for FCA vehicles. The bumpers of the Lancia Delta HF Integrale can be ordered from the FCA Authorized Network or directly from the Mopar Store at the following link . This is the official Mopar store dedicated to private customers where to buy accessories and spare parts, but also a long series of personalized services for your FCA car, such as warranty extensions, maintenance coupons, all-in-one installation packages and much more. yet.