Summer Driving: Tips From IAm Roadsmart
Do you have plans to go away this summer? Our head of driving and riding standards, Richard Gladman, has put together some tips to keep you safe on the road.
- Plan your journey ahead of time to ensure you know when and where to take breaks. Before you leave, make sure you check for any traffic updated that may cause you delay or to re-route
- Check your car before you leave. This should include, tyre pressures, tread depth and condition, and checking fluids. Top up your screen wash and oil (if needed) and check for any underlying problems before you set out on your journey. A good starting point is to do your POWDERYchecks
- Stay hydrated. Keep bottles of water in your car in case of any emergencies. We recommend having plenty of water as it is essential to stay hydrated to maintain concentration
- Driving in the heat can cause fatigue and concentration starts to slip after two hours of driving. Make sure you take frequent breaks at service stations to stretch your legs
- Create an emergency kit. Drinks, snacks, a charger for your mobile phone, and a roadmap for any last-minute detours can be useful. If you’re travelling with children, remember to bring some entertainment to make the journey less stressful
Richard said: ”Preparation is key to an enjoyable trip. A well maintained car and a fully fit and prepared body can make the difference between a pleasant drive in the country and a nightmare journey to be endured. Whilst the trip may be about the destination, it is much better if the journey is enjoyable too.”